209 W. Main
Date Built: 1883
Builder: Morgan Lyon
1st business: A. McMillan Grocery
Morgan Lyon built the Lyon Block with its 4 storefronts in 1883 after the Franklin House Hotel had burned.
This building was home to grocery stores for over 100 years. A. McMillan Grocery (1893-1898), VanDyke’s Grocery (1898-1919), E. A. Anderson Grocery (1919-1925), Clint Hodges Grocery (1925-1933), C. Thomas Grocery (1933-1948), B(arber) & O(atley) Grocery (1948-1965), B&O operated by Loren Wohlford & Margaret Koewers (1965-1967), B&O operated by Dick Bell (1967 until he set a fire in the basement); B & J Grocery owned by Bob Reagan and John Topp with Ruth Sinz as manager (about 1970).
Next it became a Party Store. Tiny Giant Party Store with Ruth Sinz as Manager in 1972; Russ’ Party Store in 1979; Village Party Shoppe of the O’Briens (1981-1988); Izman’s Inc (1989-1993), Fergie’s Party Store of Keith Ferguson (1993-1995), CJ’s Party Store of Jerry Kinsley & George Saigean (1995-1999). Since then, it has housed such businesses as The Pottery Palace, The Sandcastle Toy store, the Attic, The Hanger used clothing, and Journey’s Time Antiques.
From the memories of Carolyn Jane Barber Blough: “Raymond Barber, my father, clerked for C. Thomas Grocery and then spent his career working for Kroger. When he retired from Kroger, he started the B &O Grocery. Barber managed it and Oatley owned it. “People came for his Fresh Produce and Meats. He purchased produce from local farmers if at all possible. Growing up the Barber children, Carolyn Jane, Jim and Bill worked at the store …stocking the shelves. He sold groceries on account and helped families. People brought their grocery list, handed it to Dad, then went to supper or for a beer. When they returned, the groceries were bagged and boxed, ready to take home. Saturday night was a big night. Dad sold hot dogs which were the first thing he gave the grandkids when they came to the store.”
Top: This photo was taken about 1900. Rudolph Van Dyke is the man under the derby standing in front of his Grocery Store. The others are Glen Ernst and Loren Barber, who clerked for him. In a 1907 article, farmers who wanted to grow cucumbers for the new Heinz Co. Pickle Station were instructed to go to VanDyke’s to get seed and instructions.
Bottom: B & O Grocery. Notice tin ceiling, meat case, food cans, and produce table; the office and the toilet were in back. Son Jim Barber and father Raymond James Barber are pictured in their aprons. B stands for Barber (owned the inventory) and O for Oatley (owned the building). “This was the Friendly Neighborhood Store; people stopped by just to talk,” said Ivan K. Blough. He also remembered helping his girlfriend stock shelves before he could take her to the movies at 9 pm.