211 W. Main
Address: 211 W. Main
Date Built: 1883
Builder: Morgan Lyon
1st business: Collar & Weekes Dry Goods
Morgan Lyon built this four storefront Lyon Block in 1883 after a fire burned the hotel here.
Collar & Weekes, a leading dry goods and carpet establishment were the first to move here in 1884. In 1888, A. W. Weekes retired due to ill health and couldn’t work for two years. E. R. Collar continued the business here until he died in 1920. His son Clyde Collar took over until 1928. A 1913 ad reads “Specialists in Ready-to-Wear Garments.” In the beginning they employed a dressmaker.
Next the storefront became home to restaurants. Staal’s Lunch Room with Beer (1929-1940s) was operated by George Staal who was a brother to the owners, Claude and Leah Staal. George was nicknamed “Bake-A-Cake George” by Raymond Barber of B & O Grocery next door. It was the “Village Inn Bar and Restaurant” from 1961-1983 and again from 1987-1988. It was Mr. Bill’s from 1983-1985 and briefly the Celtic Isle Restaurant.
Other businesses that were here included: The Boomerang consignment clothing store, The Victorian Thymes Floral Shop, Shorebird gifts with a hunting theme, Rare Finds Antiques, Dovetail Antiques and North Star Antiques.
Take a look inside the Village Inn in 1968 when Herb Keyser was Manager and Mr. and Mrs. Charles Bartlette owned it. Always Serving- Dinners: T-bone steak, Club steak, Pork chops, chicken, roast beef, baked ham and Italian Spaghetti. Sea Food – Lobster tail, jumbo shrimp, fish. Dinners include: tomato juice or soup, salad, potatoes bread & butter, beverage and Ice cream. Fish fry every Friday night. Take out: Beer-wine and fine foods.
Edgar R. Collar: His dry goods business was at this location for 36 years, 1884-1920. He was a leader and sang in the choir of the Methodist Church. He served on the Village Council and was a Mason.
Receipt from Collar and Weekes when they first opened in the Lyon block