221 W. Main
Date Built: 1883
Builder: Billings G. Wilson
1st business: Fred B. Hine Hardware
Billings G. Wilson bought this lot from Freeman S. Jones after the Franklin House Hotel on this site burned in 1882.
The first business was Fred B. Hine Hardware who moved across Main Street as soon as the building was complete. From 1886 to 1895, W. R. Blaisdell Hardware and Tin Shop operated here. Then, it was Reuben Quick & Son Hardware (1895), Scott and Cambell (1901), and Scott Hardware from 1906 to 1915. Scott Hardware had two storefronts, 221 and 223 W. Main.
During the 1930s, A & P Grocery was here and after 1937, it was Herald’s Bakery. George Herald’s Specialty was “Salt Rising Bread.” In 1950, Cary Stiff purchased the building, closed the opening between 221 and 223 W. Main and opened the wall between 221 and 219 W. Main.
This storefront showcased Cary’s Dry goods and sewing supplies. There were huge racks of threads, zippers, ribbons, buttons, notions and bolts of cloth. The floor was unpainted wooden tongue and groove and creaked when you walked on it.
Businesses after Cary’s included: Riverside Fireplace Shoppe which sold scooters and motorcycles as well as fireplaces, B & M Furniture, Curt’s Sound & Home Arcade Center, The Straw Basket, Main Street Antique Mall, and River Hollow Collectibles owned by the Hales which opened into Cousins Hallmark. Now it is part of LowellArts!
Images: Scott & Cambell Hardware was at 221 W. Main from 1901 to 1906, then it became Scott’s Hardware. Elmer White is identified on the right.
A close up of a coin imprinted "W.R. Blaisdell Tin and Hardware, Lowell Michigan. This was a Civil War era token worth one cent, redeemable at this store. It was distributed by the owner to try to get patronage. Blaisdell's was not located at 221 W. Main in 1863 when the coin dates to, but was in Lowell. The coin is now on display in the Museum.
Picture of Billings G. Wilson, builder of the building.