In June of 1968 the Lowell YMCA held a Day Camp and an Overnight Camp out at Denton’s Point, described as four miles north of Lowell on the Flat River.
What and where is Denton’s Point?
George Denton was born in Canada and came to the Lowell area, purchasing land along the county line road, between today’s M21 and Flat River Dr, along Montcalm Road. Later the Denton family also bought land north of Flat River Drive, between Montcalm Road and the Flat River. The land was owned by the family for multiple generations. In 1923, George’s son Kelcy was living on the land until he swapped houses with his son George, which made him the third generation on the land.
Unfortunately, only one year later tragedy struck and the house burned.
The land north of Flat River Drive was the entire Northeast quarter of section 25 in Vergennes Township. It was bordered on the east by Montcalm Road, and at the northwest border was the Flat River. It was on the beautiful riverfront that picnics and gatherings were held. It became known as Denton’s Point, and even Denton’s Grove.
In 1938 the South Keene newspaper correspondent reported that the August Birthday Club met at Denton’s Point to celebrate Mrs. Cassie Denton, Lester Lambertson, Wayne Baird and Jack Denton. Thirty people were present and they decided to make it an annual affair.
It was known through the decades and became popular enough that even the YMCA used the area not only for the day camps and overnight camping, but also hiking, horseback riding and various other outdoor activities.
Today there is no longer a road to Denton’s point, but the land is state owned and the North Country Trail runs through it. Hikers and outdoor enthusiasts can still enjoy the view that picnickers, birthday celebrants, and even YMCA campers have enjoyed through the years.