209 E. Main
Address: 209 E. Main
Date Built: 1905
1st businesses: A. D. Oliver, Jeweler; F. D. White, Dentist
There was originally a wooden building on this site which was torn down in 1881 to make way for the New Brick Block. H. W. Avery, then Avery and Coons had a meat market in the new building, followed in 1887-1893 by the R.D. Stocking, H. A. Sherman and Mrs. J. O’Heron music and millinery store.
Previous to the fire of 1905, Harrison Sherman’s Bazaar was located on the first floor and the Bell Telephone Exchange on the 2nd floor. After the 1905 fire, the lot owner M. C. Bishop of Easton decided to rebuild. The first tenants were A. D. Oliver, Jeweler, 1st floor, 1905-1927; and F. D. White, Dentist, whose office was on the 2nd floor, 1905-1957. Until recently there was a 'hand' painted on the wall upstairs pointing to Dr. White’s office.
Clint Hall of C. A. Hall Manufacturing Co. operated at 209 E. Main 1943 until he moved to California in 1954. He was proprietor of “The American Line of Sprayers and Poultry Equipment. Wholesale Only.” They made the Pistol Pop toy gun, c.1945-1955. A 1953 ad read: “Wanted – Young woman for factory work.”
Tenants of the 1960s were Earl Noah’s Barber Shop and Ted’s Barber Shop. The Lowell Barber Shop was owned by Ted Milanowski and Fred Ruehs. Colonial Carpet was here (1973). In 1975, Ivan K Blough purchased the building and invited Howard and Evelyn West to move Anderson Family Shoes here from Burton Heights in Grand Rapids, 1975-1985. They then purchased the building. It was during the 1970s, that the wrought iron front was added to the front of this store and several others. The city’s plan was to create a “New Orleans” style Main Street to complement the Showboat.
Other businesses at this location were: Music Master, Quality Pets, and G&B Sales. In 2000, Curtis Accounting and Tax Service and Rich’s Appliance Repair Service opened here. Rich's Appliance Repair continues as a mobile service. In 2013, Riverbend East Styling Salon opened.
Howard and Evelyn West operated the Anderson Shoe Store from 1975 to 1985. The New Orleans style wrought iron was added to the front to keep with the southern New Orleans theme of the Lowell Showboat.
The toy Pistol Pop air gun used ping pong balls for ammo. It was manufactured at C.A. Hall Mfg. Co. in this building between 1945-1954.
Oliver’s Ad in the 1908 Homecoming Issue of the Lowell Ledger A. D. Oliver was born in England in 1860, came to Lowell with his parents in 1872. He learned the watch making trade from Jeweler I. E. Strong and carried on the trade at various locations around Lowell for 47 years. He added Optometry to Jeweler and sold eyeglasses. His store also carried rare China and other works of art. It was a mecca for people because he was always a wise counselor.